Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Home to the fog... and a bit about gravy


I suppose it would have been wise to at least mention that I was going to be without regular internet access nor have sufficient time to truly sit down and write something meaningful this summer. However like many wise thoughts I have, they tend to get lost somewhere between my mind and my mouth (in this case my fingers).

So where have I been? Well I've been in Michigan working at the same summer camp I worked at in 2006 (the summer before I started this blog). I'm not sure if I mentioned that I was going or not, or what led me to go, but that's where I was. Without going into a long drawn out (and probably boring) account of my summer (which in reality wasn't boring at all), I will just leave it up to my current affairs to bring up thoughts and stories from my summer at camp.

This past week back in San Francisco has come in short eventful spurts, most of which had to do with being a tour guide to a friend of mine from Russia (a fellow camp worker). I think we managed to see most of San Francisco, including Alcatraz (one of my top five favorite national parks in the US), Pacifica, and the Redwoods, all in a matter of 4 days. *Note* so I said short bursts but really, it's been a pretty busy week in hindsight* In the midst of being a tour guide, and seriously considering applying to work at Alcatraz (found out I couldn't due to my lack of US citizenship), I was trying to secure a job. An organization had been courting me since I haphazardly gave them a cut and past copy of my resume with my contact information, before I started my week long road trip back to CA from MI. I honestly wasn't all that interested in the position, but I figured it would be a good opportunity to get into the swing of all things business casual and interview-y. After a few brief phone calls, and a 30 minute phone interview, I was invited for a four hour interview and observation... yes four hours!

After going over the job duties and organization history, I was asked to observe and interact with the teens and staff if I felt comfortable. As I'm not one to just sit and/or stand in the way, I asked if I could help with anything, and that's when the gravy came in. The woman who I would be stepping in for simply threw it out there "Hey do you know how to make gravy??" Now growing up in a family that takes their holiday meals more seriously than the reason we observe them, there was at least one thing I knew how to cook, and it happened/happens to be gravy. For some reason I was usually tasked with stirring the gravy, and making the whipped cream at most family functions. Needless to say, I was glad to have a task but a little nervous, feeling that my possible job was on the line. Thankfully I must have made decent gravy because I now have a job.

It wasn't until I saw the passion that the staff had for what they were doing that I really started to take the job that I had been offered seriously. In fact, I almost canceled the interview. A bigger reason for my hesitation in taking the job had much more to do with my fear of moving in than anything else (I think I might post a bit about that later). After some prayer and conversation with my mom and some friends I decided to take the job with the safety net of keeping my apartment for the first two months just in case it was the wrong decision.

So there you have it, an excuse as to why I haven't written in a few months, and a very short update on what's been going on!

No comments: